VIA Aquarium is seeking an experienced Floor Technician.
Full-Time / 3rd Shift
Floor Technician needed to clean, polish and buff facility flooring.
Must be motivated, reliable and able to work independently.
Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Must be able to regularly lift 50lbs
Experience with commercial buffing and polishing equipment strongly preferred.
Apply in Person at Via Aquarium, or Mall Management Offices located at 93 W Campbell Rd, Schenectady NY 12306.
This is an entry level position. With the direction of the Curator and Aquarist staff the trainee will provide assigned specimens with optimal day to day care through approved husbandry practices; keep exhibits, reserve tanks, and workspaces well maintained. Trainee will participate in acquisition, transport, and acclimation of specimens. Trainee will be accountable for husbandry and maintenance of assigned galleries, and responsible for coverage of other areas as needed or assigned, as well as routine assistance with covering Education team as needed.
Maintains assigned specimens through approved husbandry practices
- Conduct rounds twice daily for specimen health and proper operation of aquarium equipment. Identify and report issues. Problem resolution.
- Prepare diets and feed according to established practices.
- Identify and report animal health issues to Curator and Lab biologist.
- Administer medical treatments as directed, and conduct quarantine procedures as directed.
- Maintain and regularly review daily husbandry records.
- Maintains knowledge of current specimens housed at the Via aquarium, researches new specimens as needed, researches new husbandry techniques as needed.
Maintains exhibit and reserve tanks
- Maintains cleanliness and aesthetics of aquariums through cleaning of glass, scrubbing of décor, water exchanges, filter cleanings, gravel cleanings etc.
- Maintain cleanliness of filters, pumps and pipework etc.
- Maintains cleanliness of BTS areas through sweeping, mopping etc.
- Maintains knowledge of filtration equipment and researches new materials and methods as needed.
- Assists LSS and Aquarist staff with upgrades, repairs etc. of aquariums and systems
Participates in Animal acquisition and disposition
- Assists in the acquisition and acclimation/introduction of aquarium specimens from other institutions, wholesalers, and private individuals.
- Assists in the de-accession of specimens as needed
- Daily, detailed records maintained for assigned areas.
- Maintains feed chart for assigned areas, and keeps current chart posted in the Food prep kitchen
- Provides detailed records to the Curator and Lab Biologist as needed
Assists Education team as needed
- Coverage of touch pool as needed
- Assist with the care of technology, and education exhibits and signage as needed.
- Assist with education talks, classes, tours etc. as needed
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological sciences
- Open water Scuba certification
- Experience with freshwater and marine aquariums
- Valid driver’s license
- Must have and continue gathering knowledge of aquatic biology, basic chemistry principles and concepts and be able to apply to an aquarium setting.
- Should have basic knowledge and continue learning about aquarium disease, parasites and appropriate treatments.
- Should have basic knowledge and continue learning aquarium equipment, filtration, plumbing etc. and be able to use this knowledge to maintain assigned areas to ensure animal health.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment, and communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to interact with the guests and staff under varied circumstances.
- Must possess basic computer skills and be able to effectively enter data and records.
- Must be able to climb ladders and exhibits, lift or exert 50 pounds of force regularly for sustained periods.
- Must be able to drive for distances.
- Must be able to dive in exhibits for extended periods. Must be able to stand and stand for extended periods.
- Must possess good sight, hearing and manual dexterity.
- Must be comfortable handling dangerous animals, and exposure to zoonotic disease.
- Must be able to communicate comfortably with guests and staff.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures, (Cold, Heat, humid, wet).
- Must be comfortable working with chemicals and pressurized equipment.
Send completed resumes to email@example.com
Intern – Marketing & PR Department
The Marketing & PR Department at ViaPort is responsible for creating all marketing, advertising, public relations initiatives for Via Aquarium, Via Entertainment and ViaPort Rotterdam Mall.
Our office is looking for an intern who will learn and work under the supervision of the Marketing & PR Director. The intern will assist and support the marketing and public relations department with a variety of social media, marketing, and public relations initiatives.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Social Media Focus:
- Assist with social media engagement by helping manage social channels.
- Draft editorial content for social media and marketing purposes.
- Monitoring Social Media analytics and creating reports.
- Respond to visitor feedback on social media channels.
- Help brainstorm ideas for marketing initiatives and campaigns.
- Assist in gathering data for marketing reports.
- Assist with brand awareness at community events.
- Draft press releases, fact sheets, etc.
- Monitoring media coverage
To be considered for this internship you must:
- Major in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism, or business.
- Have reliable transportation to and from ViaPort.
This internship is unpaid. College credit only. There is a weekly minimum hour’s requirement of 10 hours for college students. Flexible schedules are available. Before you begin your internship documentation from your school will be required stating how many credits you will receive, and how many hours you are required to work per week. Interns who successfully complete the internship will be provided with a written reference upon request.
Touch Tank Educator
Via Aquarium is looking for talented individuals to serve as touch tank educators. This position will provide the overall supervision of our touch tanks during regular operating hours. This position will also engage with guests to provide them with factual information regarding our aquatic life. This position will also be responsible for interacting with guests at various exhibits to improve overall visitor satisfaction. When applying, please include “Touch Tank Educator” in the subject line.
Guest Services Associate
Our guest services associates are often the first people to greet our guests and the last to say good-bye as they leave. We are looking for applicants with experience in customer service and have a strong aptitude for working with people. Dependability and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment is a MUST. When applying, please include “Guest Services Associate” in the subject line. Resumes for this position should be sent to Tom@ViaAquarium.com.
- Providing guest friendly service to visitors and cultivating a happy and friendly work environment.
- Working in admissions to sell daily tickets and annual passes.
- Managing lines appropriately.
- Operating our photo booth and selling guest photos.
- Validating online tickets.
- Working in the gift shop at the payment register.